Recently I’ve been re-watching some of my fave childhood cartoons, getting hit by high levels of nostalgia. From the likes of D.W for Arthur – the ultimate GIRL BOSS, to the gang that pretty much originated the term ‘SQUAD GOALS’ – the kids from Recess.
Back then we (myself include) all identified with at least one of them and we all wanted our gang to be just as cool as theirs, which got me thinking – having a strong network of friends is super important! Our friends are the people that help us get through the day to day. From dating disasters to moving house, our ‘gang’ are the ones who are there with a bottle of wine (or two)…. in every situation. So with that in mind, I‘ve decided to take a look at some of the situations I’d be absolutely lost without my BFFs at my side.
1. The break-up. Yep, that old classic! No matter how many times you go through it, it still feels like someone has punched you in the stomach and ripped out your heart. Your emotions are high, you want to eat all the chocolate in sight and listen to Adele on repeat. You don’t want to be on your own but you don’t want to talk either, you just want someone who will be there, supply wine and wait patiently for you to be back to your sassy queen self.
2. The fashion crisis. The moment you can’t decide whether or not the skirt makes your bum look big or makes your bum look fierce. The reflection you’re seeing in the changing-room mirror isn’t real, it’s tricking you – you need the opinion of your BFF! You know they will give you a 100% honest (usually unfiltered) opinion. Whether that’s “OMG you look so hot!” or “babes you can’t wear that, you’ll knock someone out” you know they’ll be there to respond quickly and honestly. Cheers BAE!
3. The rant. The boss, the boyfriend, the idiot on public transport that barged into you 5 TIMES! Whatever the cause, sometimes you just need to rant your frustration to someone and that someone is usually your best mate There’s nothing better than venting to your bestie about how much of a kn*b your boss is being and you can count of them to say all the right things and agree with you no matter what.
4. The cabin fever. Life has you stressed you out to the max and if you have to spend one more night staring at the four walls of your room you will go crazy! The squad will always be there, to drop everything and come to the rescue, whether it’s a crazy night out or Netflix and chill with several bottles of pinot.
5. The pick me up. “Do I need to go on a diet?” is always followed with “OMG NO, SLAY QUEEN!” – it’s simple but it’s just what you needed.
6. The first date. The rules are set; they knows the date, time and place of the meet up. They’ve also done some extensive stalking of all your dates social media platforms: a fan of Taz’s Angels eh… we’ll see. They phone you before, during and after and at any given time they’re are ready to receive your ‘get me out of here’ signal.
7. The won’t take no for an answer. You’re out, you’ve got your favourite dress on, your new heels and you’re ready to dance until you drop. But for some unknown reason, there’s a guy you just can’t shake. He keeps lurking, making weird conversation and asking for your number repeatedly. You’ve said you’re not interested (it’s girls night) but he just doesn’t seem to get it! Enter the emergency backup – MOVE MOVE MOVE! Like a military operation, the squad removes the suspect and creates a barrier; leaving you to dance the night away… did someone say tequila?!
8. The hair cut. We’ve all been there, you go and try out a new hairdresser, ask for an inch or too off and maybe a different colour, an ombre effect perhaps? What you end up with however, is an ‘experimental’ hairstyle the new stylist describes as ‘fashion forward.’ You’re seething and go into immediate hiding. Your gang will only laugh at you a little bit, before lending you every hat they own.
9. The cuddle. Big spoon or little spoon, sometimes all you need is a cuddle from your BFF to solve all of life’s problems.
10. The little things. When you need someone to do your eyeliner, pass the loo roll over the door or cover you when you need to sort that serious wedgie situation you’ve got going on. It’s the little things that make you realise they’ve always got your back.